Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Freeze Frame

Have you ever just wanted to freeze time? Stop and cherish a moment longer than the quickly moving hands of time allow you to. Today was one of those days for me.....

Despite having a doctors appointment this morning which ended with both kids in tears (vaccines), today was a wonderful day.

It started with James waking up at 6am. Seeing his angelic little face, framed by his tousled hair, peering over the hallway gate is a sight I will truly miss when he is older and too grown up to shout "Mommy - I need to go potty". The morning continued as JP used his active two year old imagination, and my computer cord, to play "Fireman Sam", and spent the morning putting out "fires". It's these precious moments that are vivid reminders that childhood is over far too quickly. Though a part of me hopes JP grows up to be a professional of some kind, a doctor or engineer, another larger part of me hopes that instead of having "money", or a "good job" that he maintains his boyish charm, his creative spirit, and warm soul.

Despite the tantrums and the occasional bad behavior, part of me wishes that JP would stay this way forever. He is such a bright little boy, and so charming. He is so innocent, still unaware that the world can sometimes be a harsh place. He is the type of boy who says hello to everyone no matter who they are or what they look like. We should all be so kind!


After dinner Andrew took JP up for his bath. While Andrew and JP were busy splashing in the tub, I was in Lil's room taking care of our sweet "sleeping beauty". Since Lil's room is right across the hall from the bathroom, I was able to eavesdrop on James and Andrew. Nothing warms my heart more than listening to Andrew and JP laugh together except maybe listening to them sing together. Of course JP's obsession with Fireman Sam means that he is constantly singing the theme song....and Andrew encourages this by enticing him with his own variation of Fireman Sam...typically done in the style of Bob Dylan of Tom Waitts.


After finally getting Lil to bed I peeked in on JP. His long legs were sprawled over the edge of his "shrinking" toddler bed, and he was surrounded by his most prized possessions (his stuffed animals: Radar, Blue, Spot and Ernie, two books, and a handful of "Little People") In his world all is right!

And now here I sit - it's 10:30, The Colbert Report is on TV and I have two perfect little angels sleeping upstairs. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment