Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Adventures in motherhood

What an "exciting" week it has been at the Ball house. No - we haven't been to any exotic destinations, No - we haven't made any exciting new purchases. "Exciting" these days is defined by Lilith's first smiles, a few small injuries, and JP's first steps toward toliet training.

So - I'm curious at what stage is it possible for Mom's to actually take care of their apperance? I would certainly define my everyday personal style as "low maintenance". My straight hair rarely sees a hair dryer, I can't remember the last time I used a curling iron, and yoga trousers and t-shirts are my everyday uniform. That said we had a photographer over yesterday to take a family portrait, and I thought it might be a good time to pull the curling iron out and actually make an effort. How wrong I was! As I was dealing with Lilith our curious little boy, got a little too close to the bathroom counter and burned his finger on my curling iron. At first Andrew and I couldn't figure out why he was crying, but when a small blister appeared on his index finger it become clear what had happened. Needless to say I think my hair will remain in a ponytail until Lilith is out of toddlerhood!

Speaking of Lilith, she is doing very well. Our darling "little" girl is not so little. At only 6 weeks she is already 10lbs 9 ounces and close to 24 inches long putting her in the 95% for weight and "off the chart" for height. I knew that the infant stage wouldn't last long but in Lilith's case she already seems so "grown up." I am just not ready to put the newborn clothes away quite so soon! In the past week Lilith has also started making her first attempts at communicating with us. In addition to the occasional "coo", she is starting to smile! It's precious!

Finally - last week we decided to ditch the diapers and start potty traning JP. He is an intelligent little boy, and like most things he has picked it up fairly quickly. After a few small accidents he successfully used the toliet and continues to do so a week later. Of course we've hit a few small snags, he hasn't had a bowel movement on the toliet yet, he has trouble undressing/dressing himself, and he still needs diapers for naptime and bedtime, but we will tackle one thing at a time. For now I'm thrilled to be "diapering" only one child!

No comments:

Post a Comment